Friday, February 3, 2012

Preparing for NAM



Pre Vietnam Training:

   In early January 1968, I reported to US Naval Amphibious Base, Coronado California, “West Coast home of the US Navy SEAL’s  for pre Vietnam training. Coronado is just south of the  US Naval Air Station, North Island on San Diego’s Silver Strand. It was very interesting to see the SEAL’s training, and I knew I would never try it lol I had a friend try it but he rang out early, and he was a pretty stout guy.

   My training was to be three weeks during which I would be indoctrinated into the language and culture of Vietnam.  I was staying with Pat & Sam, and most  evenings  I would catch a ride to North Island to meet up with Sam and we would ride the “Nickel Snatcher” across the bay to where his car was parked. Some days I would just hop on. the LCU “Liberty Boat” out of ‘Phib base.



   During training I was scheduled to go through the “Survival School” in Warner Springs for Survival, Evasion, Resistance, & Escape. “S.E.R.E” I had heard horror stories about SERE, and seen a few guys that had returned with multiple bruises.  They even had a replica POW compound where they would teach you resistance and how to attempt an escape. But when you got caught they treated you like a real captured escapee.  I was both anticipating and dreading this little adventure.  Early in our indoctrination we learned that the SERE class was now a 3 day classroom event. If you passed the written exam after the lessons you did not have to go to wonderful Warner Springs. If you however failed the exam, you were given a second exam and if you failed twice, you were awarded with  a week long stay at the Warner Springs Resort. Needless to say I passed on the first try.



   One week of our training was Weapons Training at the US Marine Base Camp Pendleton .  W boarder charter buses at Amphibious Base, and headed to Camp Pendleton, upon arrival we were greeted by a very testy Gunnery Sergeant that informed us how we would act while on HIS base One point he made clear was that since many  Chiefs and Petty Officers wore collar devices, we would most likely receive hand salutes from the young marines  stationed there. When this happened we were to smartly return said salute without any remarks, or gestures or we would be his guest for two weeks of Marine Boot Camp.

     Weapons training was a highlight of my Naval service, we were instructed in the breaking down cleaning, and reassembly of the M16 and the M1911, and other weapons we might be using in Vietnam,. Then we were taken to the range to be shown the proper way to use each weapon.  My favorite was the M79 aka “Blooper”, a shotgun looking 40 mm grenade launcher. It was a single shot, break apart loading heavy duty weapon for short distance.  When it was time to shoot we were given 3 rounds, and told to shoot them at the car bodies on the next hill.  I was lucky enough to be one of the early shooters, and my first shot fell about 3 yards short of the target. But both other shots were  dead on and it was quite a feeling to watch the car body ripped apart. We also shot the M16 & M1911, where I was not as good, but did hit the target a few times with each. While we were training on the M1911, 45 caliber pistol, an Ensign right out of the Academy was taking his turn, and after the first shot the recoil caused his hands to go straight up in the air where he again  pulled the trigger and this continued until the magazine was empty. Thankfully no one was injured in the incident, but it was not the last time he would have a problem.

Another of my favorite activities was learning to throw the hand grenade. After our demonstration we were each given 2 practice and one live grenade to throw.  I did as good as anyone at this, but our favorite ensign stepped up and threw his two practice grenades  like he was shown, but when he got the live one he got nervous and it barely went down range. The Sergeant yelled “Hit the DIRT” and we all dove to the ground. We were  peppered  with dirt and dust but otherwise unharmed. 

   Other weapons we were instructed on were 30 and 50 caliber machine guns, and mortars. One day as we were sitting in the bleachers getting our instructions, I think it was on mortars, we heard a whistling sound overhead and watched an explosion on the next hill. We found it quite entertaining until the Sergeant  grabbed the field phone and started screaming at some one. It seems that another training group was shooting in the wrong direction. Can we say OOPS??.

   After my pre-nam training, I was given another 14 days to report to my flight for US Naval Support Activity, Da Nang, Vietnam, Republic Of.  I headed for Tucson to visit with my Sister Geneva and her Hubby, Allen Kendal Armstrong, US Air Force.  When I got there I was informed that Allen would be joining me in Da Nang, in six months. He had received  orders to US Air Force base Da Nang.




No comments:

Post a Comment