Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Welcome to Covered Storage, General Stores Material Division.  I had arrived, after a short conversation about what we did and what was expected of me I was assigned to my first Warehouse,. General Stores Materials Warehouse 11. I was also informed that because of a shortage of 2nd Class Storekeepers I would be An E4 filling an E5 billet, I was to be Warehouse Supervisor. I asked how I came to be selected for this position and was informed that because of my service records I was the best choice for the position. So here I was a 20 year old SK3 in charge of a multimillion dollar facility. I was shown the way to my new warehouse where I was introduced to a salty old First Class Storekeeper, maybe 5’ 8” and 120 lbs if he had rocks in his pocket.  He was ready to return home and retire from the Navy.  He welcomed me aboard and we sat and talked to get to know each other. Soon he gave me the grand tour of my Kingdom. We had a 4 Bay Butler Building, with each bay maybe 60 feet X 75 yards long.  We had all types of electrical supplies, spools of cable, Plumbing and other types of hardware.




Besides the covered area we had a large area between the warehouse and the perimeter fence that we used for outside storage. And  yet more outside storage between us and Warehouse 12 to our east. Behind our warehouse was the Foremost dairy Milk reconstitution plant, where they took powdered milk and make milk and chocolate milk for the troops. I made friends there real quick.  The ware house staff consisted of Korean Nationals hired through Philco-Ford, and Vietnamese Nationals, plus one US Navy seaman apprentice, and Myself.  I learned the layout and the day to day operations and soon was on my own as warehouse supervisor.  I enjoyed working with the Koreans, all of them were former Republic of Korea (RoK) Marines, and very hard working and intelligent. We talked of the customs of our countries and our differences. The Koreans were very appreciative of the United States assistance during the Korean Conflict.  I also enjoyed learning from the Vietnamese.  I had one Papasan that was very friendly and we enjoyed playing around, then one day he failed to report for work, and as I inquired as to why I was informed that he was a North Vietnamese Major and was working there so he could obtain information for the enemy. After that I was skeptical of all the Vietnamese personal.  After a while even thought I had good control of my warehouse, they obtained enough E-5’s to make one of them Warehouse supervisor over me and make me Assistant Warehouse supervisor.  After being in charge this did not sit well with me and soon I was in trouble with the division hierarchy.   The supervisor of Warehouse 21 told them “Put him in my warehouse I will control him!” He was wrong, we fought constantly, which led to my first stint on depot security.  During my time in Whse 11 and 21 I made many contacts with other branches of the service and would assist them in obtaining what they required either through proper channels or through what we referred to as “trading” LOL.  The Navy frowned upon this activity even though everyone did it to some extent. 

     My memory on my timeline in Vietnam is foggy at best so I will do the best I can to get it written, but I will be telling events as I remember them not necessarily in the order they happened. My next blog will be on Red Alerts.   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment