Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Leave and SK "A" School

       While I was in Boot, I was offered a chance to go to any school the Navy offered, I choose Storekeeper School. I was going to learn Warehousing and to operate Forklifts, and things.  Why I choose SK School is still a bit of a mystery, but I wanted to operate equipment like my dad and this was a start. 
     In September 1967 I graduated from Naval Training Center, Recruit Training Command, San Diego CA.   I remember putting on those Dress Blues and waiting for My family to come pick me up.  Saying good bye to those I had been through a rough 12 weeks with was hard, I still remember many of the guys. Cavey from Alaska, Deason from Saugus CA, Moffet from Minnesota, Andrews, the first Black friend I ever had. and the Twins. But in the Navy you say your goodbyes and move on to the next station.
    I had 14 days of Boot Leave, I headed back to Holtville to see old friends and show off my Uniform.  I visited with friends and family and prepared to return to Navy life. Holtville was just a small town, I really hadn't heard about "Hippies and Protesters" at this point, and everyone was Proud of me. A lot of my friends had been drafted or joined since I went to Boot camp. and the 2 weeks went fast.
     In Late September I reported to Storekeeper Class "A" School at Naval Training Center Annex, 32nd Street Naval Station San Diego CA.  Some of my Friends from Boot had also gotten Order to NTC Schools, and 4 of us met the weekend before reporting at my sister Pat's house in Santee near San Diego for a quick week end of fun. She loaned me her car and we went to the Beach and had a great time. Also drank a few beers while at the house. It was a great weekend

I had received a promotion when I graduated so i was now an E-2, Storekeeper Seamen Apprentice, or SKSA.  School was basically like a trade school, 5 days a week with weekends off unless you had the duty.  Also you had Liberty every evening unless you had the duty.  I was your typical Sailor, ready to hit the beach every day after school but in the Navy "Hit the Beach" does not always mean sand and surf. LOL It is a term used to mean leave the base and go on Liberty. In this case the streets of San Diego. I was too young to drink but did manage to get into a  couple of Bars, mostly though I went to the Titty Bars that only served "Near Beer" and you could get into at 18. They had dancers but always had at least "Pasties" covering their breast. It wasn't until Hawaii a year later I saw my first "Nude" Dancer. I did spend sometime in the local Adult Novelty shops watched some very X-Rated movies and even seen a couple of "Live Models" you would go into a room and be separated by glass and put quarters in the slot to raise the blind and the girl would dance for you. Needed lots of quarters though LMAO.  week-ends would find me mostly at Pat & Sam's place, where sometimes I would take some friends and we would  Play cards and Drink Beer. Jim Hunnicutt and Bill King were the usual gang.
     Memories of SK "A" School with out a time line are, Guys smoking "Catnip" to try to get a buzz cause they couldn't get Weed. My first introduction to Drugs other than Alcohol A friend Named Bailey was the instigator, also dried Banana peels called "Mellow Yellow" I tried neither by the way.
  I remember going to the mess hall seeing all the Ships and wondering if I would be on one of these. I did visit a ship though, a Friend from Boot was on a Tin Can at the Naval Station and I was invited aboard for supper and to visit him. Who knew that would be my longest tour of "Sea Duty" while I was in the Navy LOL
  While there we had a visit from two recent graduates of SK "A" School that had gotten order to Vietnam, they had been to "SERE" School in Warner Springs and were bruised and tired looking.
I hoped that when my orders came in it would not be Vietnam.  I was among the last to receive orders, and when the instructor, said "SKSA Dickey, US Naval Station Midway Island" I was relieved.
  I had requested the USS New Jersey that was being reactivated but that's why they call it a dream sheet.    Some of my friends laughed because Midway is a small island in the middle of the Pacific and I was going to spend a year with the Gooney Birds, but it turned out that Midway was beautiful and there was lots of Beach time. fishing swimming snorkeling and such.  Jim Hunnicutt laughed also but then the instructor read "SKSA Hunnicutt US Naval Station Adak Alaska!"  The laugh was on him I had sunny beaches in a tropical setting and he had a year in the deep freeze. Before Christmas I was given 14 more days leave for the holidays. I had been in the 7 months and already used 28 days of leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment