Tuesday, June 21, 2011

More Boot Camp Ramblings

As we get older our memories get jumbled. I remember things that happened, but not the chronological order they were in.  This is basically the rest of my Boot Camp memories but not necessarily in the order they happened.  Lets start with the Weideman Twins. 

       As mentioned earlier I first met the Weideman Twins when reporting for active duty. We shared a bathroom at the Hotel the night before processing at AFEES.  I want to start by saying that the twins were special guys, they had hearts of gold. They were some of my best friends in Boot Camp, and they looked up to me to help them as a squad leader and friend.  And they needed all the help they could get. I guess during Vietnam recruiters were meeting quotas with warm bodies to fill billets. During Boot, we dealt with several men that I do not believe should have been recruited.  Among this group were the Weidemen Twins.  Do not get me wrong, Rob & Rick tried very hard to become good sailors, and I hope that after boot camp they were able to survive the fleet. Young Sailors was cruel, and the Navy was an extension of High School. If you were different , or not  with the in crowd you were  heckled and picked on.  The twins were not "stupid" by any means, but they did have difficulties learning how to adapt to navy life.  Both were probably like the rest of us in the 17-19 year old range, but had led a "sheltered" life.  Their family  while I do not know that they were "rich", lived in a well to do area of San Diego. Money was not a problem for sure, and they were not "street-wise" .  They were innocents, never had girlfriends, never had booze, never been in trouble to speak of.  While most of the rest of the company were partiers, Jocks, players, and pretty wild guys. 
   Everybody liked the twins, and we looked out for them like their big brothers. We took every chance to teach them what they needed to know.  We would fold their clothes for them, sit and explain how to tie knots and work with them. On one occasion, they had both gotten gigged on inspection, neither had got
ten a good shave. I had them both in my squad so I had to counsel them on shaving.  I came up with a plan!!  I told them Rob tomorrow you give Rick a shave, and Rick you shave Rob. That way you can see what you are doing better.  Whew problem solved!!  I THOUGHT!! The next morning I walked into the head and noticed a small crowd gathering laughing loudly, I looked and there were my twins, Rick & Rob arms intertwined, shaving each other at the same time. It was quite a sight. I stop them, and explained, OK Rob you shave Rick, Rick you stand still and do not move until he is done, and then trade places!!!!!!!
   I hope I taught them something, I know I tried, and at times they tried my patience. But I refused to give up and later in boot camp when we were allowed to have visitors, they invited me to meet their parents one evening. They told their folks how much I had done for them and how much the liked me. The parents told me about the twins writing home and bragging on me as their squad leader and friend.
     As I look back on that evening it is a great memory. In the end the Twins graduated Boot camp with the rest of the company, and had received orders to the USS Enterprise!!  THE BIG "E", l often wonder how they did in the fleet. Did they make it 4 years, heck did they make a career out of it?
I am hoping they both had good lives and somewhere sit and remember me today. Their Friend and Squad Leader...

No comments:

Post a Comment